How to get rid of mold caused by water damage

When your home has water damage from a pipe leak, flood or other problem, then you’re going to be left with a soggy mess. However, not having to throw a few books or even break the carpet is the worst things you will have to face after water damage. It could also end up with a mold problem. Getting rid of mold caused by water damage is time consuming, but it is possible.


  1. Dry the entire area. This will probably involve pulling out moisture using a wet / dry vacuum cleaner. They can also help the fans and a dehumidifier, along with opening the windows.
  2. Throw porous materials or those that have been poorly saturated or covered with mold. This may include, but is not limited to, carpets, upholstered furniture, books, stuffed animals, fabrics and wooden articles.
  3. Create a cleaning solution with a generous amount of detergent in a bucket of warm water. Use this mixture to thoroughly clean any remaining surfaces that have mold from the water damage.
  4. Rinse dry and wetland areas using the same methods as in step 1.
  5. Create a 1/2 cup disinfectant solution of bleach per gallon of warm water. Dip a large sponge into the solution and wet all areas that had contact with the water, not just areas that had visible mold.
  6. Leave the bleach and water mixture dry on its own. This completes the disinfection process, kills mold spores that can be seen and reduces the chances that the mold will turn.

Tips & Warnings

  • Keep bleach ammonia products to avoid accidentally creating a toxic reaction?